Sunday, October 5, 2014

I Actually Live in the Ring of Fire




This is a good thing, people. Since arriving here in Central America, the amount of super cool Earth science that I can witness first hand has increased drastically. I had never even seen a volcano until just a few months ago.


I live in Ciudad Quesada, which is in the northern lowland region of Costa Rica. Ciudad Quesada is the largest city in the canton of San Carlos and most people refer to it that way. I've got a thing for maps so here you go:





As you can see, there are quite a few little red triangles on that map! 

It just so happens that there is a volcano about 50 km north of here called Arenal and it is a sight to behold.  Most days it is covered by clouds, or I am in a particular part of town where you can't see it.  But, sometimes, it peeks it's pointy head through the clouds or the buildings and I seriously beam with excitement. Here are a few snaps I have gotten of it over the past few months.  Please excuse cell phone quality pics and dirty camera sensors.

From in town (Ciudad Quesada)

                                                                                       From the small town of Sucre

From the back of a pick up truck

From Kalambu Water Park in La Fortuna (along with some of my awesome students)


Fun fact: the small town at the base of Arenal, La Fortuna, actually used to be called El Bario. In 1968, the volcano erupted to the west destroying everything in its path.  The small town of El Bario to the east was spared the destruction and renamed "La Fortuna" or "The Forunate." 

So we got Arenal in the back yard, and it is active. Platanar is in my front yard, and it is dormant.  It is still an awe inspiring sight, though.  And my favorite view of it is from the closest bus stop.




On September 16, I headed to Nicaragua for a few days of travel and a border run to renew my tourist visa.  Two great friends of mine (who are engaged to get MARRIED, yay!) Nate & Emily suggested one of their favorite places in Central America: the magical, mystical, marvelous, Isla de Ometepe. 

Ometepe is a volcanic island in the middle of the MASSIVE Lake Nicaragua (3,191 square miles to be exact). 

Lake Nicaragua from Granada, north of Isla de Ometepe

Isla de Ometepe from the shores of San Jorge

The more conical and symmetrical volcano on the left is Concepcion and it is active.  The one on the right is Maderas and it is dormant. 

Concepcion


This is me and my dude before taking the ferry across the lake to the island. 

Concepcion and some ridiculously good looking clouds from Finca Magdalena on the island.






Concepcion, a pig and a boat. 



Concepcion is just so damn picturesque, I think I took an unfair amount of photographs of it compared to the other...

Maderas:

But really, can you imagine the force that BLEW the top of that mountain off?! 

I love it.

After a few days on the volcanic island, I went to Granada, a small city on the northwestern shores of Lake Nicaragua.  The jagged sleeping giant known as Mombacho overlooks the beautiful colonial city. Mombacho is dormant - no action since 1570. 

From my horse carriage tour around the city. 

Aside from all these awesome lava mountains, there are mineral & thermal springs sprinkled through out the regions.  And apparently there is at least one earth quake a day here, but I have yet to feel one. 

Shockingly, no one is really concerned about the active volcanoes, and just go about their day as if there wasn't this geologic time bomb looming over their heads.  I think it is absolutely fascinating (shout out to Catherine McCloskey, my high school science teacher!) and every time I see one, it is a little reminder of how truly 

AWESOME 
(adjective: extremely impressive or daunting; inspiring great admiration, apprehension, or fear) 

our world is. 











1 comment: