Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Green Forest School - Learning to Live

I never gave a proper introduction to the school at which I have been working.  Since we are starting off the new 2015 school year, I figured it was about time to introduce you!

Green Forest School is a private, bilingual school located in Ciudad Quesada, San Carlos.  Grades range from Preschool to 11th grade. I teach grammar and language arts to 7th-11th grade this year.  Last year, I taught Science and Social Studies (in English, of course).  I am happy to have my language courses back :)





On a cloudy day. 

On a sunny day! 

 Volcan Platanar behind the school. 

A normal school day starts at 7 am.  There is a short morning break, a lunch break and a short afternoon break.  The students are dismissed at 2:15.  Classes are small, 6-12 students in most.  I am very grateful for this as a new teacher.  I have much admiration for the teachers with groups of 20, 30 plus! The students stay in their classrooms for the day and the teachers move from class to class. Each day of the week has a different schedule. Each class has a "guia" or guide teacher that helps them directly with class activities and serves as a liaison for parents.

First of all, these kids are extremely smart, and all of them (in the high school, where I work primarily) speak excellent English.  Often, my students are my translators.  I also like to let them be the teacher sometime and help me with my Spanish.  My students know that I am here to teach them English and I am not supposed to speak Spanish with them in class.  However, sometimes we use our native and second languages together to better understand each other.  I am a firm believer in continued education, in and out of the classroom, for my entire life.  I am a teacher here in Costa Rica, but I am also the student of their language and culture.

The "bilingual" aspect of this school means that the students take some of their subjects like science and social studies in English.  They also have chemistry, biology, civics, etc. in their first language, but we cover some material in English to broaden their vocabulary and understanding of the language.  This strategy expands their English speaking skills away from just salutations and irrelevant vocabulary into practical and real life application.

Here are a few shots of my classes from today's first day.  Classes are a bit smaller this year and there were a few students missing on this first day.  But I was so happy to see these kids today!

8th grade! Missing my buddy Rodrigo, but with a new addition, Ariana. 

New 7th graders - Congrats on being official highschoolers! 

The Senior class of 2015!  Missing Esteban & Lennart. 

I had little to no experience as a teacher before coming here.  I took an online course through International TEFL Academy before moving down here.  It helped immensely and part of the certification required a teaching practicum.  I volunteered at International House in Plaza Midwood in Charlotte for a few weeks before heading down here as well, which was invaluable experience, just getting in front of those students.  I would recommend some sort of course or volunteer hours for any one who wants to teach abroad.  However, it is not necessary, although it is preferred here in Central America.  It is required in Europe and Asia.

That being said, I was more nervous than my students on that first day back in June.  There was little direction from the administration as to what class should be like.  I was just given a schedule, some books and a grading sheet and showed up to class!  I didn't even know what rooms where what grade.  I really was like a student lost on the first day of school.  Thankfully, my students were very helpful and not too hard on me.  The structure (or lack thereof) gives me a lot of freedom and creativity in my class, but at times can make it difficult.

There are no end of grade tests here.  At least not like what I had in the public school system in the United States.  As an English teacher, I am here to help them practice English in preparation for their finals at the end of 11th grade.  This is when students take all of their exit exams for college acceptance.  Green Forest is regularly producing some of the top scores in the country, especially in English.  I am proud to be a part of such a highly respected institution.

My favorite part of teaching here at a grade school as opposed to a private English academy or to adults is the cultural activities I've learned about.  Costa Ricans love to party.  They celebrate everything.  And they do it right, with traditional dress, amazing food and LOTS of decorations.  I used to think decorations were a waste of time, and then I moved to Costa Rica.  You better hang those streamers and blow up those balloons.  They ARE necessary.

Cue a ridiculous amount of photos!  Enjoy!

My office on most days. 

Green Forest School with a rainbow.  That pitch takes a real beating and the grass can't keep up. 

Goofing off with 10th grade boys. 

My biggest admirers. 

Vertebrates and Invertebrates and Mari Paz (she is a vertebrate).

Graduated seniors.  Moving on to college, to Germany, to the USA.  






Seniors 2014 Farewell Breakfast













Primary School boys dressed in typical Costa Rican attire. 





A Tica is not complete without a beautiful braid. 



Making candy cells! 









Three very important people at Green Forest, from left to right.  Rosita, cook and all around mother to both students and teachers.  Lilliam and William are the school's directors.  They act as principals, managers and coordinators for everyone here at Green Forest. Gracias por todo! 


At times, furry neighbors make the classrooms their homes. 



Building earthquake proof houses in Science last year. 




Ever since I was a kid, I've wanted to be a teacher.  If any of my oldest friends are reading this, I probably wanted to play school with you when we were kids, and you probably never played with me because I was always the teacher and I always wanted to assign the work.  I went to school to study English and Spanish and I was constantly asked if I wanted to be a teacher.  I always said yes, but I never knew in what capacity.  I don't know if teaching English will be a career I pursue in the future, but I know that this is what I am supposed to be doing here and now. 

I've always loved leading kids, and I think it is because I always loved my mentors and leaders when I was a kid. I remember how at that I age, I was like a sponge. I absorbed everything from my teachers and counselors.  They were the coolest people in the world to me, and along with my family, are the reason I am the person I am today. I would like to think I have a special relationship with my students because I treat with them with the respect they deserve.  I like to talk to them as adults when they are mentally and emotionally prepared to do so.  This is also why I really love the high school.  I have covered classes in Primary... but I will let my lovely coworkers with the patience and compassion for the little ones handle them!  My favorite are the adolescents and teenagers who are coming into their own personalities, forming opinions and sharing ideas.  I want to ignite the curiosity in them.  

"To teach is to learn twice." 

I am a student of the world and I am learning new things every day.  About myself, about what makes me happy, about things I do and do not need, about kids, about adults, about working, about traveling.  These lessons don't come in a clear format but they are the part of this experience that I love so much and they are the reason I came back.  I'm not done here.  I never will be.  I will never stop learning, and I will never stop teaching, in the classroom or outside of it. 



5 comments:

  1. I am just gushing in pride right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. TEFL Madrid Academy
    The topics that you have highlighted on your web site are actually very valuable and important. I will try to highlight your valuable things to acquaintances.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most valuable & fantastic blog ,i really appreciate your work which you thane done about Green Forest School, many thank & keep it up.
    TEFL abroad

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you still at this school? Your blog is really lovely, this feeling reminds me of my first time teaching overseas too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! No, I am no longer teaching at Green Forest, but I love that this blog is still relevant! Thanks for poking around, it brought me back to this wonderful time in my life.

      Delete