Friday, May 22, 2015

Volunteering with TabLab

This is a cross post from the blog I posted for Costa Rica's TabLab program.  I'd love it if you visited the TabLab website and learned a little more about the program. 

I am so excited to be working in Costa Rica with TabLab. 

Prior to my work in Sarapiqui, I was an English instructor at a private bilingual high school in Ciudad Quesada, Costa Rica.  I didn't realize just how good we had it.  I used to complain about the weak WiFi for my students who needed to do research on their personal laptop computers they brought from home.  It was a daily struggle to keep them off of their iPhones.  Just a 2 hour drive from that, I find myself in the rural areas of Sarapiqui where many students don't own books and have never used a computer, much less a smart phone or tablet. 

I was lucky to work with those fortunate students.  They were great readers, eager learners, almost fluent in English, and proficient with all types of technology.  They were grateful for the things they had and the education they were receiving.   I learned a lot about the classroom and teaching in those 10 months, but I was looking for something different, something to broaden my experience in Costa Rica and as an instructor. 

Luckily I got into contact with Meghan at Chilamate Rainforest Eco-Retreat.  Apart from helping around the retreat, I have been helping implement the TabLab program at Liceo El Paraiso and Escuela La Lucha.  I really like helping the teachers get a better grasp of the resources on the iPads and getting the students excited about technology.  Luckily, many of the teachers I have worked with so far are at least familiar with some kind of tablet or smartphone, and most of the high school students are also.  But there are a few teachers and students who may find the technology intimidating or too complex.  

We take for granted the accessibility and immediacy of technology and information.  I have used a smart phone for over 10 years, and have had a personal computer in my home for as long as I can remember.  My public schools in North Carolina had all of the latest technology in our labs. Resources abounded; both in educational materials and staff.  It's truly eye opening to see some of the hurdles that these students and their families and their teachers have to go through to get a good education.  

I think there are a few major do's and don't's to make this program a success.  Familiarity with these tech devices just comes with time and use, which may not be as high in these rural areas in which I am working.  I do want the teachers to understand that this is an amazing resource to make their jobs more interesting and improve interaction with their students.  What I don't want to happen is overwhelm them or make them think this is more work for them - something no teacher has time for.  In reality, it should make their jobs a little bit easier, while teaching the students how to not only work independently, but with their peers.  In just the few classes I have helped out in so far,  almost all of the students have paired off or grouped themselves and are sharing new ideas and things they've discovered while exploring the iPads.  It has also opened up a discussion between teacher and student.  These quick-learning adolescents who can pick up on the specs of a device quickly are sharing their findings with their teachers as well.  

My first goal is to get the students on the iPad in some way, shape or form daily.  From research in science, to interactive maps in geography, spreadsheets in math and reading in English and Spanish, there are endless opportunities to incorporate the technology in the classroom. My second goal is to get the teachers to understand the significance of technology in the classroom and how to use it effectively, as described by TeachThought.  Flexibility and openness, as well as a general belief in the value of technology, are important in this theory.  The foundations are there.  I know these are attainable goals and I am honored to be a part of the project. 











No comments:

Post a Comment